Sunday, May 20, 2007

Dennis Brothers Liquors

Having read so much about Dennis Brothers Liquors on the forums of Beer Advocate, I figured it was high time I checked it out for myself. Located in the farmland of Cottage Grove, it's an unlikely place for a liquor store with such a fantastic selection. As soon as I walked in, I was overwhelmed with the voluminous quantity of great, hard-to-find beers. They stock everything from Belgians, locals, and I'm pretty sure the entire line-up of Rogue. As I made my way down the shelves, I came upon a 6-pack of Jolly Pumpkin's Bam Biere and a 750ml of the Bier de Mars. Being a fan of the Oro de Calabaza and La Roja, I'd been trying to find the others for quite some time. This was the first place that I've come across that has them.

The beer is only half of what makes Dennis Brothers so great. My ulterior motive for visiting was to see if they had any glassware for sale. Upon inquiry, I was greeted by John Dennis, one of the owners. He was friendly, knowledgeable, and made intelligent, non-snobby suggestions. For glassware, whereas other places will sell you glasses for $5 or $6, he gives you the bewery's glass if you purchase one of their beers. That, in itself, is a wonderful thing for someone trying to start their collection of glassware. Having told him that I didn't want to spend too much money, he offered me a glass free of charge. And now I have a beautiful Rodenbach glass.

The service just kept on coming as he took my beer from me so I could browse hands free. After ringing me up, he gave me a card and let me know that if I ever wanted him to reserve something to just give him a call. Then, to top it off, he carried my purchases to my car. Even if it's a bit of a drive and I can find a lot of what they have at more local stores, the service is worth the trip alone.

Map it!