Sunday, May 20, 2007

Summit Scandia and ESB

I'm not always a huge fan of Summit. I feel like they make decent casual beers, but nothing to write home about. But that wasn't true for 2006's limited release beers: Scandia Ale and Extra Special Bitter.

The Scandia Ale was a fantastic example of a unique but drinkable beer, with a winning combination of coriander and orange. It reminded me of a less-intense, more-findable, cheaper version of Traquair's Jacobite Ale.

The ESB was a great late night refresher during the hot summer. I like my beers hoppy, but when the heat settles in, I like them refreshing as well. Sitting at 50 IBUs, you'll get a nice kick of hops, but not an overwhelming one.

Apparently, others really liked these beers as well, because Summit has announced that both the Scandia and the ESB have been promoted to it's official line-up. They've begun selling them in bottles and should be available on tap at various locations.